We Look At This Day In History
We Look At This Day In History: A chronological timetable of historical events that occurred on this day in history. Historical facts of the day in the areas of military, politics, science, music, sports, arts, entertainment and more. Discover what happened today in history.
- In 1492 Christopher Columbus and his crew land in the Bahamas.
- In 1609 The song “Three Blind Mice” is published in London, believed to be the earliest printed secular song.
- In 1899 The Anglo-Boer War begins.
- In 1933 Alcatraz Island is made a federal maximum security prison.
- In 1943 Italy declares war on Germany.
- In 1976 First electron micrograph of an Ebola viral particle obtained by Dr. F.A. Murphy, working at the C.D.C.
- In 1993 Mighty Ducks win their 1st NHL game.
- In 1988 U.S. performs nuclear test at Nevada Test Site.
- In 1975 9th Country Music Association Award: John Denver wins.
- In 2014 The Vatican issues a document indicating that the Catholic Church is taking a softer stance on relationships outside of traditional marriage, upholding the church’s views but advocating respect for unmarried couples and homosexual unions
A few birthdays and deaths that went down on this day in history:
- 1891 Ludwig Weber, composer
- 1952 Margaret Thatcher, born in Grantham, England, Tory, British Prime Minister, 1979 – 1990
- 1941 Paul Simon, born in Newark, New Jersey, singer and actor, ‘Kodachrome’, ‘1 Trick Pony’
- 1993 Tiffany Trump, daughter of Donald Trump and Marla Maples
- 1982 Ian Thorpe, born in Sydney, New South Wales, professional swimmer, Olympic gold medalist, won 11 World Championship gold medals, nicknamed, ‘Torpedo’