The East Rand is the eastern part of the Witwatersrand that is joined with the Johannesburg area. This area became settled by Europeans after a gold-bearing reef was discovered in 1886 and sparked the gold rush that gave rise to the establishment of Johannesburg.
The East Rand region extends from Germiston in the west to Springs in the east, and south down to Nigel, and includes the towns of Boksburg, Benoni, Brakpan, Kempton Park, Edenvale, and Bedfordview.
As part of the restructuring of municipalities in South Africa at the time, the local governments of the East Rand were merged into a single municipality in 1999, called the Ekurhuleni Metropolitan Municipality, meaning “place of peace.”
Despite having a separate municipal government, like the West Rand, the East Rand is included in the Greater Johannesburg metropolitan area. To this end, the East Rand shares the same dialling code as Johannesburg.