Early Morning Accident
Early Morning Accident: One person was killed and 15 others injured when a taxi rear-ended another vehicle on the N1 south at Allandale Road around 6am yesterday morning. After the collision the taxi driver lost control of the vehicle and it rolled off the highway. One passenger sustained critical injuries and required Advanced Life Support intervention. Unfortunately the patient’s vital signs deteriorated and the patient’s was later declared dead on the scene, Max Cohen of Emer-G-Med said. The patients were assessed and managed at the scene before being transported to various nearby facilities for further care.
- Learn safety modes of transportation and plan accordingly.
- Learn which bus and taxi companies have good safety records.
- Avoid overcrowded, overweight and top-heavy buses, minivans and taxis which appear to be in poor condition.
- Avoid riding with drivers who seem to be under the influence of alcohol or medication, or appear over-tired, irrational or distracted.
- Be sure that taxi has functional, accessible seat belts. Ride in the back seat with buckled seat belt.
- Board and disembark with care, especially where drivers collect or let passengers off in the middle of the road.
- If driver is not driving responsibly, express your concern. If driving behavior does not improve, disembark at first safe opportunity.